Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How does the labor start.....

It has been a while since I posted! I owe everyone an explanation of how my labor starts to the end.


My mom flew in on January 14th because of my false alarms lately and does not want to miss the birth. That day I had dr appt with the midwives. They tested me for iron and it was little low so they asked to have the blood drawn to be sent to the lab to get exact number. I had a problem with the iron so I had to take iron liquid pills for 3 weeks in order to get the numbers up so I was in a risk for losing so much bloods at the birth. I was devastated for a while then next day. It is good timing that my mom is here with me to give me support. My mom understand how I feel. Next day, we got a phone call from the midwives. They got really concerned because they got the results and it was dangerously low so they said we have to go to the ob/gyn doctor that day. I was so scared and upset because I worked so hard to get iron up past 3 weeks. We went there while my mom went to meet up with couple of uncles and aunts who were in town as well. We went to the ob/gyn doctor. He explained that the midwife got the wrong results and said my iron were fine. I just happened to have a mild anemia. He said it is acceptable for home birth.

My husband and I were so relieved to know that. My mom said she had the same problem as mine and other family relatives. They get mild anemia during their pregnancy. During the weekend, we had Justin's siblings bring us dinners with foods that is HIGH for iron. It is really nice. With my mom being here, we went for long walks, sitting on the bounce trying to get water break. My doctor said I am 2 cm and 90% effaced and +2 in pelvic station. The baby's head was very low and is due for birth anytime. I heard stories from the women on my husband's side about them taking castor oil to make the contraction start. We tried that saturday but failed. My due date has arrived but has passed because the baby is not ready to come out! My mom and i decided to try castor oil again with diet coke(which I never drink caffeine pops) then nothing happened.

Around 3:00 AMn on Jan 19th I felt something which I thought its a braxton hicks contraction but the contraction has been happening every 5 minute for an hour so I realized it is time. I woke my husband and mom. Its time..Let me tell you, having contractions are the worst thing than having a surgery. We rented hot tub so we have one in our kitchen. I got in the hot tub but the contractions has stopped so I got out of the hot tub to go to bed and sleep a bit. We decided to get the membranes stripped so we went to the midwives' office and they did that. I went for a nap but the contractions kept waking me up so I gave up and told my mom to go get a pedicure so it should help. Boy, it was HARD to keep happy face while I was having my pedicture done and beside few people asked my mom, "Are you sure you dont need to take her to the hospital?" I guess my face tells all! We went to Chili's to order spicy bean dip which should help speed up the contraction but unfortunately my face tells all to other people and we cant stay in the restaurant. We went home and waited for my midwife to come and check up on me. Things seems same but definitely in a labor. Hours passed, the pain got intense. At night, my midwife came to check up on me. She said Im 100% effaced and 3 CM, I was like that is crazy and slow! I told her that I want pain medication. My midwife said no they dont have any. I got upset because when we first met at our first prenatal appt, they said they have two kind of medications but not epidural. I tried to get in the hot tub to relieve the pain. It just got worse and worser. I told Justin and my mom, I want to go to the hospital! They were trying to soothe me so we can try the home birth. I said no, it hurts badly. I screamed, yelled, and cried. Justin could not do anything but watch me suffer the pain and felt the pain. He cried for first time because it hurts him to see his wife in pain. Let me tell you, I never saw him cry, not even once! It is comforting to know that.

Around 11 pm, I gave up and demanded to go to the hospital. We went to the hospital. Justin wasnt happy with the midwives so a lot of miscommunications between everyone and us. They had to register me. I was going crazy because I demanded the nurse to give me the medication now. Unfortunately, they had to take bloods drawn, put the iv line in, and such. It took half hour to do those lame things. Once I got settled down into the labor/delivery room. The epidural man came and starts to prep me. I am allergic to tape so he asked about that. I said, " I dont care if I have to suffer that, just give me the relief!" I didnt bother to feel the epidural needle inside me. Its funny because everyone said it hurts. I dont even feel it at all because I am focused on getting the relief for pain. Once the epidural medication took effect and I felt I am in heaven and started to relax and have my face expression from crankiest to happiest. I realized that I was having BACK LABOR so it was not easy going through. The nurse began to check to see how dilated I am and effaced. She said Im 4 CM and 100% effaced(way thin) and the babys head was right there. She asked if the water bag broke. I said no, thats what we were waiting for! She happened to check out for me. She said, "I dont feel anything, are you sure?" I was so surprised. We all think that the water broke in hot tub OR broke but only drips of water came out that I can not feel anything. I was surprised, we waited too long for nothing. Around 2-3 hours after, the dilation came from 4 to 10 CM so it was pretty quick! Once its time to push, my contractions was 6 minute apart so the nurse said I need to get pitocin to speed up the contractions. She had to do this around 10 times. She said, "How can you get from 4 CM to 10 CM with 6 minute apart. Whats your secret?!" Around 45 minutes of pushing, the baby came out and its a GIRL! :)

That is almost 30 hours of labor/delivery. I did not get any sleep until the baby was born. I was physically and emotionally exhausted, along with my mom and Justin.

If we went to the hospital earlier, the baby could be born on January 19th.

A lesson to be learned is to not attempt a home birth without pain medication. :)

Madilynn Anne is a precious gift for me. I love her very much. She is the reason that keep me happy through my hard times. I am so glad she is here. She was inside the womb for 9 months, surviving each stress,fight,happy,laughter,or sad times. I knew she has an unique and strong personality. I am so proud to have her as my daughter. She is worth each effort I made despite hated being pregnant. She is special girl to me and her daddy. I will make each moment to be a precious to me before she grow up too fast. :)

No comments: